2-ра конференция на ЦЕУ в областта на социалните науки
Second CEU Graduate Conference in Social Sciences
"The End of Transitions? Central and Eastern European Countries in Comparative Perspective"
5-7 May 2006, Central European University, Budapest, Hungary
The discussion will concentrate on the following issues:
How can an interdisciplinary approach foster the quality of understanding and the complexity of social phenomena? Social sciences - towards convergence or divergence of discourses, methodologies, and paradigms? How do different social sciences approach transition events? Are methodological instruments developed in other contexts appropriate for understanding the peculiarities of this region?
· Societies, politics and states
· Political parties, electoral systems and voting behavior
· Post-communist discourses
· Consolidation of Mass Media
· Public Policy and structural reforms
· The prospects of reform and development in post-communist countries
· The changes in nature and practice of power in the region
· New Security issue - Strengthening the Weak States of European Periphery
Deadlines: The final deadline is March 20th. The decision will be communicated by 5th of April. Applicants who require visa to visit Hungary are encouraged to apply early.
Call for Papers: We encourage graduate students and young faculty to contribute with papers and participate in the proposed workshops and panels. Each panel will include approximately 4 presentations by young scholars. Another young scholar will participate as discussant. Each panel will be led by a senior scholar or expert in the relevant field of study who will moderate the discussions. Ample time will be left for discussion. The working language will be English.
Fee: There is no registration fee for qualified participants. Food and accommodation are provided by the organizers. Applicants can apply for a travel grant for the cheapest means of travel (up to 120 USD). Priority will be given on the basis of academic merit and financial need.
The application consists of:
· Completed application form (Includes the abstract too. Abstracts should be between 300 - 500 words)
· Short CV
· (Optional) Applicants for travel grant: Short letter for justification (up to 300 words)
For further inquiries please e-mail to: